There are those truly great meals that every now and then we are lucky enough to experience. They can be utterly rich and decadent, an indulgence of the highest kind, or sometimes they are a perfect expression of simple yet delicious ingredients allowed to stand on their own.
And then there is the reality of life that often sets in and stands firmly in the way of the aforementioned bliss. Schedules, budgets, emotions, families, friends, work, pets, kids. All these things can slowly creep their way in, and suddenly you find yourself thinking of food and eating as another box to check on the never-ending list of “Life’s To-Do”.
Determined to find a middle ground, I have been looking for simple, affordable, and tasty dinners that can be made in 30 minutes or less and satisfy a crowd. This Chili fits that bill to a T. It’s not out-of-this-world spectacular. You won’t fall asleep wishing for more. But it’s pretty damn good and with the addition of the Toppings Bar, quite fun.
Serves 8-10. Freezes beautifully too for a quick supper in a pinch.
Serve with Crusty Bread, cold, salted butter, and a slightly sweet white wine such as a Gewürztraminer or Semillon.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound diced, cooked chicken meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (18.75 ounce) can tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 2 ears fresh corn or 1 can corn kernels (handy option in the winter)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lime, sliced
- Heat oil, and cook onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in broth, tomatillos, tomatoes, chilies, and spices. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn, chicken, and beans; simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a Toppings Bar for people to choose from: limes, cilantro, cheese, avocado, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com